SpaceX services a diverse range of customers across our programs and is looking for exemplary individuals capable of supporting our missions. As our Mission Management team expands, there are new opportunities in work for our Commercial and Rideshare, Dragon, Civil Space, National Security Space Launch (NSSL), and Human Spaceflight teams.
As a member of our team, you will serve as a core point of contact for customers from early capabilities studies through successful project activation. Mission Managers serve as the mission specialists, performing all activities from pre-launch analysis to operations on-orbit. Members of the team excel across a breadth of functions including systems engineering, requirements verification, project management, proposal development, and mission management. Our ideal candidate has a passion for finding solutions, is a highly detail-oriented self-starter, and is hungry to do work that matters.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop and certify missions.
- Collaborate with other subsystem representatives across team boundaries to consider all necessary trades and ensure end-to-end mission success.
- Develop and present technical content on complex designs, trade studies, risks, and issues.
- Collaborate with engineering and production groups to understand vehicle readiness and how changes impact requirements, vehicle risk, and launch dates.
- Coordinate and chair customer reviews and ensure that contract deliverables are delivered on time and per the customer’s expectation, including taking responsibility for payment milestones.
- Serve as the Mission Manager for major flight tests and/or milestone, including carrying end-to-end responsibility for mission success.
- Influence and steer programmatic and technical development to meet the end objectives of current and future customer contracts and missions.
- Work with the SpaceX mission operations team and customers to develop integration and operations plans.
- Lead new technical projects from proposal through completion.
- Responsible for ensuring regulatory coordination is kept on schedule and facilitate generation of materials as required (such as FAA launch license applications, FCC special temporary authorizations, DOT transport licenses, etc.).
- Manage execution of sub-contracts, collaboration activities, and task agreements between customers.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, physics, or science with 5+ years of industry experience.
- 5+ years of technical project management experience.
- 4+ years of experience working hands-on with hardware or software technical projects.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in an engineering field.
- 5+ years of experience working with government, NASA, or commercial launch contract.
- Professional experience working with launch vehicles, spacecraft or other aerospace systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with direct experience negotiating technical deliverables or scope.
- Excellent negotiation, conflict resolution, and leadership skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional team and external customers.
- Coding or automation experience (SQL, Excel, Python, etc.)
- Highly detail oriented, diligent, hard working with excellent customer interface skills.
- Passion for advancing the commercial space industry.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, autonomously driven, and demanding start-up atmosphere.
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret or Top Secret SCI clearance is preferred. Note that an active clearance may provide the opportunity for you to work on sensitive SpaceX missions. If so, you will be subject to pre-employment drug and random drug and alcohol testing.
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekends as needed to support critical milestones or operations shifts.
- Must be willing to travel to launch sites, test sites, other SpaceX offices, and customer locations as needed.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Mission Manager: $125,000.00 - $175,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year.