Marine Engineering Manager - Structures (Permanent)
Underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, asset management, and specialist training, Babcock International works with customers around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the key market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear.
In Canada, Babcock works in the Marine sector, where our teams provide critical and complex support to Canada’s submarine fleet. Our Canadian team is proud to be trusted to deliver key naval in-service support for the Royal Canadian Navy. We also operate in the Aviation sector, where Babcock ensures that the aircrew trainees of our partner nations receive the world’s best flying training. We deliver vital aerial emergency services and are proud to have been selected by the Government of Manitoba to deliver their wildfire suppression services, as well as key components of their critical air ambulance services. As well, we have expanded into the Canadian Nuclear Energy Industry. Cavendish Nuclear, a wholly owned subsidiary of Babcock International Group, is a leading nuclear services company with a growing national and global presence. Drawing on over 60 years of nuclear experience, Cavendish Nuclear provides specialized service solutions in Canada, with global capabilities across the entire nuclear life cycle.
Whether it is providing technical training instruction, developing training materials or maintaining critical training assets, Babcock is trusted by its customers to deliver world-class training solutions.
Babcock’s Purpose is to create a safe and secure world, together. Our Principles create the foundation for how we will do this. They keep us on the right course, unify the way we work and guide us towards success. By thinking, connecting, and acting in line with these Principles, we’ll deliver better outcomes for our Culture, Customers and Communities. Collectively at Babcock, our employees embody the Principles that help make us great at what we do:
- Challenge the status quo, Be Curious, and ask, ‘how might we?’
- Whenever measuring success, Think: Outcomes and positive impacts.
- Be Kind to ourselves, each other, and our planet.
- Babcock employees Collaborate – we are greater than the sum of our parts,
- Be Courageous – be brave, ambitious, and determined.
- Everyone has a part to play - Own and Deliver to be successful.
We encourage you to explore our Babcock Canada website to learn more about us at www.babcockcanada.com.
In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the occupational Health & Safety of all direct reports
- Provide leadership and oversight for a team of approximately 10 naval architects and technologists to execute on-site inspections, repair specifications and deviations/waivers for complex systems and structures
- Coordinate waterfront naval architecture resources including prioritization, task assignments and acquisition of new resources to meet projected demand
- Assess, document, and communicate risks associated with submarine naval architecture and structures to both internal and external customers
- Be responsive to Program Managers for dynamic program delivery requirements in a shipyard waterfront environment
- Identify risks, impacts, mitigations and opportunities in program delivery
The ideal candidate brings:
- An Engineering Degree, Technologist Diploma, or equivalent training and experience
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Proven leadership skills and 3+ years of experience managing and providing professional guidance to technical teams
- Naval architecture or welding experience and qualifications in a senior capacity considered a differentiating asset
- A strong ability to manage and coordinate multiple competing tasks and priorities while remaining focused, calm, and professional under pressure
- Proven ability to work effectively with internal and external customers and sustain a collaborative team environment
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, meaning that you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the Government of Canada with the final dose at least 14 days prior to your start date
- You are eligible for a Canadian Secret Security and ITAR Clearance
Applicants, please apply online at https://www.babcockinternational.com/careers/
Babcock is committed to promoting a workforce without boundaries. One that welcomes everyone to contribute to our success regardless of race, nationality, colour, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability or age. If you require accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.