Job Title: EC&I Design Engineer
Location: Plymouth, UK – Hybrid - Working from home options available
Compensation: £39,408 - £48,252 + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF 47446
Build a better world
At Babcock we’re working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as an EC&I Design Engineer at our Devonport site.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers’ defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.
Babcock International and Devonport
The EC&I Design Engineer role is based within our Devonport Royal Dockyard business area.
Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It’s why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy’s new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
The difference our new EC&I Design Engineer will make
As an EC&I Design Engineer, you’ll have a role that’s out of the ordinary. This is an excellent opportunity to work on exciting EC&I projects for nuclear and non-nuclear facilities within Devonport Dockyard.
Day to day, you’ll provide professional and flexible technical solutions to ongoing operations and maintenance of EC&I systems across the site coupled with providing support to the Design Consultancy function of the department whose activities are focussed on the provision of new, or modification to; designs, equipment and facilities, as well as injection of new capabilities and undertaking life extensions activities.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you’ll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides hybrid working arrangements with days in the office/onsite and days working from home. The role is predominantly office based but requires frequent on-site support across the Devonport site, including radiologically controlled areas.
• You’ll hold a minimum of HNC or equivalent experience in an Electrical / Electronic Engineering discipline
• Comprehensive understanding of electrical engineering principles for developing and maintaining electrical control & instrumentation systems
• Experience in one or more of the following – hardware-based relay logic systems, computer based systems, remote control and monitoring systems, instrumentation, Functional Safety, Cyber Security and EMC
• Ability to understand and produce electrical engineering drawings, schematics, specifications and technical reports
• Experience in carrying out site inspections and surveys
• You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving ‘Security Check’ (SC) clearance.
What we offer
Generous benefits including:
• Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays
• Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
• Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
• Employee share scheme – save tax and national insurance on shares, with 1 free share per 10 purchased
• Employee shopping savings portal
• Employment development allowance - £125 per year
• Payment of Professional Fees
• Reward and Recognition Scheme linked to Health and Safety
• Working from home and flexible work patterns
• Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
• Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
• Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Closing date: 09/06/2023