Canada (Remote Work)Posting Open Date:
04/25/2023Posting Close Date:
04/25/2023 (Please note the posting will close at 11:59pm MST
Every WestJet journey has the potential to enrich lives; a career with us is no exception.
WestJet arrived on the Canadian airline scene in 1996 and changed the industry for the better. We made air travel more affordable for Canadians and now we're going global.Join us and love where you’re going.
This position is eligible for remote work, within Canada, under our mobile workforce program.Overview of role:
WestJet is currently seeking a Mobile Application Software Developer to support our Digital Technology team. Working with the Mobile Software Development Team, this Developer will participate in primarily mobile app software development projects and work with the Development Team and business stakeholders to develop appropriate object-oriented designs for the mobile applications.
As a senior Software Developer, responsibilities include development and maintenance of code for the delivery of WestJet's consumer facing mobile applications. This role will require application of industry-standard practices and techniques as well as active coaching of Developers in their use. Participation will be required in the ongoing improvement and evolution of WestJet’s software development practices and toolset while also providing technical support for WestJet’s mission-critical mobile applications. Specific duties will include design and development of code, build infrastructure maintenance, release management and ongoing support. Close collaboration between the development team, quality assurance and business stakeholders is required to develop software to meet WestJet’s business, technical and quality requirements. This position requires an energetic self-starter with a strong work ethic and willingness to learn and contribute to a fast-paced environment. Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate with others are essential.Key deliverables include:
Experience and qualifications:
- Designs and writes robust, extensible, high-quality code that meets business, technical and quality requirements
- Ensures that code is written individually and in collaboration with other Developers during the development of WestJet’s mobile apps in addition to conforming to WestJet’s coding standards and style guidelines
- Actively promotes the daily use of established software development best practices, methodologies and standards amongst the WestJet software development team
- Provides technical leadership and coaching to Developers and external consultants working on software projects in WestJet
- Deliver prompt, efficient production technical support service for WestJet’s mobile apps
- Consult on overall production system architecture
- Develop test automation frameworks in collaboration with other team members
The benefits of being a WestJetter:
- Completed Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in all phases of software development
- Experience developing mobile applications for iOS and/or Android
- Expert level knowledge of Swift/Objective C or Kotlin/Java
- Experience building applications with Flutter/Dart is required
- Knowledge of mobile platform guidelines (Material Design, Human Interface Guidelines)
- Ability to produce high quality mobile implementations from designs and wireframes
- Experience with development for accessibility
- Practical experience with object-oriented software design methodologies, design patterns and best practices
- Practical understanding of iterative, agile development methods, processes and techniques such as Scrum
- Ability to work in a cross-functional DevOps environment
- Design and develop automated unit and integration tests that define and validate feature/product requirements
- Strong customer focus coupled with the ability to operate effectively in an energetic, fast-paced business environment
- Demonstrate sound judgment regarding confidential and sensitive matters
- Must provide high level of customer service to internal and external guests
- Experience with Azure, AWS or Google Cloud is beneficial in this role
WestJet provides all WestJetters with a competitive total rewards package. On top of that, we offer:
Think we are a fit? Apply now!
- A fun and friendly culture with colleagues who work together to win
- Travel privileges for you and your family, effective from your start date
- Savings and Benefit programs that are flexible to meet your specific needs
About WestJet Group Of Companies
Together with WestJet's regional airline, WestJet Encore, we offer scheduled service to more than 100 destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe and to more than 175 destinations in over 20 countries through our airline partnerships.Our Safety Promise
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will use safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
WestJet recognizes that the use of Alcohol and Drugs can adversely impact a safe work environment and the well-being of others including guests, suppliers and the public, as well as place WestJet's operations at risk. All roles that are identified as safety sensitive are required to pass a Pre-Employment Alcohol and Drug Test as per WestJet's Alcohol and Drug Policy. Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We embrace what makes us each unique, and what makes us uniquely WestJet. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity, and accessibility and if you require accommodation during the selection process, please let our Talent Acquisition team know. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest in WestJet; however, only those candidates who are selected will be contacted.
For more information about everything WestJet, please visit WestJet.com