Job Title: Lead, Electrical Engineer
Job Code : IMS20232704-100152
Job Location: Orlando, FL (must be able to go onsite in a hybrid setting due to special access programs)
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
About L3Harris ILS:
L3Harris Imaging and Laser Systems, located in Orlando Florida and Hilton Head South Carolina is an established leader in Electro-optical laser systems for military defense applications. A trailblazer in designing and developing highly engineered, innovative solutions, L3Harris ILS is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of laser range finders and laser designators. ILS is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of lasers from the basic formulation of the glass gain medium to highly sophisticated systems used in military vehicles on land, air and sea.
We offer competitive benefits, an alternative 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
The Sr. Electrical Engineer will be a key member of the ALST Engineering team. This individual will be responsible for leading VHDL Firmware and Digital Hardware design and development of electrical system and subsystem architectures, analyzing designs to ensure they meet customer specifications, making system diagrams, and selecting components for the electronics associated with advanced laser systems.
This position requires the individual to have a well-rounded background with deep knowledge of digital and analog engineering practices. He / she must possess the ability to design new control circuitry that minimizes power consumption and thermal emissions by leveraging state-of-the-art components and layout technologies. This individual must have sufficient experience with design for manufacturing (DFM) to minimize manufacturing costs of these new designs. Additionally, the candidate must be able to support product development, verification, and transition into manufacturing by working with design and development engineers, and production technicians.
- Lead VHDL firmware development to include FPGA system architecture, firmware ICD development, test bench design, FPGA sizing trades and FPGA timing analyses.
- Lead Digital hardware developments to include digital system and subsystem architecture, digital hardware design, schematic development, PWB layout and route analysis, serial communication management, board-level block diagrams, and system wiring diagrams.
- Test and debug firmware and hardware designs.
- Component selection to minimize electronics size and power draw while maximizing reliability.
- Analysis of power consumption, component stress, worst case tolerances, and reliability.
- Ability to develop and make technical presentations to customers and other L3Harris groups.
- Supervise and/or provide guidance in design certification tests and document results.
- Troubleshoot component failures and investigate root cause of failures in system applications.
- Recommend design improvements for failure prevention.
- Monitor and define priorities for the projects he/she is working on a daily basis.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- All other assignments as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (EE) from an accredited university or college; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 9+ years’ experience to include 5+ digital design experience and 5+ years of firmware development experience developing electronics for the DoD / military market.
- 9+ years’ experience tasking, scheduling, and budgeting EE and software design and development programs.
- 9+ years leading EE design and development teams.
- Ability to obtain and maintain US DoD clearance as needed, which requires US citizenship
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid U.S. Passport.
- Able to travel within the US. Typically, less than two trips per year.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.