Job Title: Scientist, Systems Engineer (EO Systems Architect)
Job Number: IMS20232903-99016
Job Location: Orlando, FL (onsite due to projects and special access programs)
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
About L3Harris Technologies:
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
About L3Harris ILS:
L3Harris Imaging and Laser Systems, located in Orlando Florida and Hilton Head South Carolina is an established leader in Electro-optical laser systems for military defense applications. A trailblazer in designing and developing highly engineered, innovative solutions, L3Harris ILS is world renowned for its expertise in the areas of laser range finders and laser designators. ILS is engaged in the design, development, and manufacture of lasers from the basic formulation of the glass gain medium to highly sophisticated systems used in military vehicles on land, air and sea.
We offer competitive benefits, an 9/80 work schedule, and the opportunity to work with a talented and diverse group of professionals.
As the Scientist, Systems Engineer (EO Systems Architect), you are responsible for the technical integrity, quality and on-time delivery of the assigned products within our porfolio. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for developing, testing and deploying next generation of architecture and technology for our products. You will develop technical proposals and technology roadmaps. You will also provide technical leadership in system requirements generation, hardware selection trade studies, design implementation in system architecture development, system partitioning, integration and testing of the overall system, and assessing unit or system performance.This position is responsible for the planning, preparation and execution of all the design related gate reviews with the support from project engineering and functional groups.
- Lead technical proposals, including decomposition of customer requirements into unit or system architecture/design, technical writing, technical risk management, cost estimating, etc.
- Review, analyze, and understand program level objectives, system concept of operation, host platform architectures and interfaces.
- Develop product architecture and define system behavior, requirements and parametrics. Using a range of methods and tools, capture stakeholder and system requirements, facilitate discussion and understanding of system usage, and enhance a culture of model-based designs.
- Collaborate with other engineers in the development of work products, including: System Specifications, Logically Derived and Linked Requirements, Interface Definitions, System Diagrams, Systems Analyses, Trade Studies, and Detailed Designs.
- Advanced degree in Electrical, Optical, Physics, or closely related Engineering discipline with a minimum of 12 years of experience as a Systems Engineer
- 10+ years experience in systems architecture, specification, design, implementation, simulation, test, verification, validation, and debugging of military grade laser range finders.
- 5+ years experience working with electro-optical systems or subsystems.
- 5+ years experience supporting business development.
- Prior systems engineering experience on at least two programs, with at least one program being a medium scale complex system or subsystem (>5 System Engineers or >$15M).
- Must be able to travel up to 15% of the time
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance, which requires US citizenship.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Willing and able to work extended hours including evenings and weekends when necessary to meet customer commitments.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work well within and outside of the organization including customers, vendors, and leadership with minimal oversight
- Able to effectively communicate and transfer system architecture and design knowledge with other functions including Software Engineering, Hardware Engineering, Manufacturing, Program Management, Suppliers, and Customers.
- Able to provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a team of system engineers in the areas of systems engineering analysis, architecture, trade studies, and continuous improvement.
- Support hands-on integration & testing of complex subsystems across all interfaces (i.e., mechanical, electrical, and software).