Location: DFW Headquarters Building 8 (DFW-SV08)
Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 67477
This job will continue to be posted until at least 6/09/23. If interested, please apply prior to this date.
Are you ready to explore a world of possibilities, both at work and during your time off? Join our American Airlines family, and you’ll travel the world, grow your expertise and become the best version of you. As you embark on a new journey, you’ll tackle challenges with flexibility and grace, learning new skills and advancing your career while having the time of your life. Feel free to enrich both your personal and work life and hop on board!
Why you'll love this job
The Director of Commercial Data Strategy leads the development and execution of our data strategy to drive revenue growth and improve customer experience. This position is responsible for ensuring that the organization's commercial data is effectively managed, controlled, and governed in accordance with applicable laws and regulations. The successful candidate will work closely with cross-functional teams to define and execute data-driven initiatives that support our commercial priorities. They will drive execution of our Customer Data Roadmap by collaborating with internal stakeholders, including Product Owners and Technology, to achieve success.
The ideal candidate for this role should have a strong background in data governance, management, and strategy in a large-scale organization, with experience leading cross-functional teams and implementing data initiatives that drive business value.
What you'll do
- Build a comprehensive and robust customer data domain to support our vision to create a leading, customer-centric airline focused on fulfilling our customer’s aspirations for travel.
- Develop and implement data management and governance policies, procedures, and standards that align with the organization's strategic objectives.
- Lead the development and implementation of a data governance framework, including data quality, data classification, data privacy, data retention, and data security.
- Establish processes and standards for the collection, storage, analysis, and dissemination of commercial data, ensuring data accuracy, completeness, and consistency.
- Lead efforts to increase data literacy across the commercial organization and help accelerate our Enterprise focus around Data First mindset.
- Develop and manage the commercial data management and governance budget, including identifying opportunities for cost optimization and efficiency.
- Develop and manage partnerships with external data vendors and technology providers to make sure any engagement adds value to American and its customers.
- Collaborate with Technology partners to identify and implement innovative technologies and methodologies to improve data collection, analysis, and dissemination.
- Build and manage a team of data professionals to implement the data strategy and deliver high-quality data services. Building and managing a team of data management and governance professionals, including data architects, data stewards, and data analysts.
- Collaborate with other departments and stakeholders to ensure that commercial data is used effectively and appropriately to support business objectives.
- Work closely with business leaders to identify and address data-related challenges and opportunities.
- Identify and assess data-related opportunities and risks and recommending solutions to maximize the value of data assets, ensuring the quality, security, and privacy of data assets and systems.
- Establish metrics and KPIs to measure the success of data initiatives.
- Communicate data strategy, progress, and results to senior leadership and stakeholders.
- Recommend new approaches to improve commercial data management practices based on emerging trends and technologies in data management and governance.
- Ensure continuous upskilling and provide development opportunities for talent in the organization, and continually recruit future leaders for the organization.
- Contribute to and drive forward a thriving team culture exemplified by personal integrity and accountability, respect and inclusiveness, collaboration, adaptability, positivity, and care for others.
All you'll need for success
Minimum Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience
- Demonstrates the highest standards of personal ethics and integrity
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, data science, or a related field
- 7 years of leadership experience, including leading cross-functional teams and managing technical managers and direct reports
- 7 years of experience leading data strategy and data management initiatives in a large organization
Preferred Qualifications- Education & Prior Job Experience
- Advanced degree preferred
Skills, Licenses & Certifications
- Knowledge of data management, including data warehousing, ETL processes, and data governance is required
- Understanding of data privacy regulations and compliance, such as GDPR and CCPA
- Comprehensive understanding of the intersection between data science and data engineering (DataOps and MLOps) to develop data strategies that leverage the latest technologies and best practices to drive business value through data-driven decision-making and set American Airlines for success in developing and deploying AI/ML at scale.
- Ability to be an action-oriented and results-driven leader, with a natural aptitude for engaging employees
- Exceptional technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills with an aptitude for innovation and experimentation
- Demonstrated ability to work with the leadership team to identify, plan, and execute strategic data initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to be highly collaborative, form consensus, build relationships, and work productively with a broad range of experienced professionals throughout the company
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage multiple large-scale projects on an ongoing basis and adjust priorities, as necessary, to meet shifting deadlines in a dynamic work environment
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, negotiate skillfully, digest complex details, and use sound judgment and initiative in making decisions
- Demonstrated ability to identify opportunities for improvement, as well as proven success implementing strategic initiatives under time constraints
- Demonstrated ability to get things done in a complex and rapidly changing industry
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with ability to handle complex topics comfortably and interact effectively with all levels, both verbally and written
- Excellent ability to collaborate effectively with business leaders and technology teams, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and have a passion for data-driven decision-making.
- Believes in and promotes the American Airlines five leadership attributes:
- Caring – We care about all team members
- Collaboration – We succeed as a team
- Development – We build future leaders
- Results – We drive to be the best
- Future – We continually challenge the status quo
What you'll get
Feel free to take advantage of all that American Airlines has to offer:
- Travel Perks: Ready to explore the world? You, your family and your friends can reach 365 destinations on more than 6,800 daily flights across our global network.
- Health Benefits: On day one, you’ll have access to your health, dental, prescription and vision benefits to help you stay well. And that’s just the start, we also offer virtual doctor visits, flexible spending accounts and more.
- Wellness Programs: We want you to be the best version of yourself – that’s why our wellness programs provide you with all the right tools, resources and support you need.
- 401(k) Program: Available upon hire and, depending on the workgroup, employer contributions to your 401(k) program are available after one year.
- Additional Benefits: Other great benefits include our Employee Assistance Program, pet insurance and discounts on hotels, cars, cruises and more
Feel free to be yourself at American
From the team members we hire to the customers we serve, inclusion and diversity are the foundation of the dynamic workforce at American Airlines. Our 20+ Employee Business Resource Groups are focused on connecting our team members to our customers, suppliers, communities and shareholders, helping team members reach their full potential and creating an inclusive work environment to meet and exceed the needs of our diverse world.
Are you ready to feel a tremendous sense of pride and satisfaction as you do your part to keep the largest airline in the world running smoothly as we care for people on life’s journey? Feel free to be yourself at American.
Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 67477