Job Title: Production Engineer
Location: Walsall, UK
Compensation: £39,500 per annum + £1,000 retention bonus paid after 1st month
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF 50269
At Babcock we’re working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a at our Walsall site.
As a Production Engineer, you’ll have a role that’s out of the ordinary. Our Vehicle Engineering business operates a whole life methodology to specialist vehicle conversions. This ranges from concept design and assessment, to manufacture and installation of customer specific equipment, through to maintenance and eventual decommissioning of the vehicle.
Day to day, you’ll assist in the production definition and development of mechanical and electrical vehicle solutions, for a variety of specialist vehicle projects from concept through to manufacture and support. These projects will support the MET police, MOD, ambulance service and coastguard.
• Requirements definition and management
• Configuration management
• Production of Production definition data (Design solution, BOMs, Acceptance documentation)
• Assist in the design and development of mechanical and electrical production solutions, for a variety of specialist vehicle projects from concept through to manufacture and support.
• Participate in the life cycle of product development.
• Create tailored documents to present new solutions or modifications.
• Create operating instructions and project files.
• Interrogate design proposal drawings to verify design, components and assemblies.
• To assist in basic day to day engineering office duties and procedures.
• Presentation of design solutions internally and to customers if required.
Essential experience of the Production Engineer,
• Understanding of Requirements Management
• Experience of 3D and 2D CAD modelling and detailing
• Computer literate (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint etc.).
• Ability to apply basic engineering calculations.
• Ability to develop and maintain good internal relationships.
• Ability to act as a credible representative of the company to external parties.
• Experience of working in an automotive / engineering environment is essential.
• Deep understanding of Vehicle conversion products, services and processes.
• Good knowledge of FEA, prototyping, Manufacturing and Production processes.
• Practical knowledge of materials and their properties for design and development.
This role is full time and onsite in Walsall, some overseas travel may be required.
Qualifications for the Production Engineer,
• Educated to Degree / HND standard or equivalent.
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.
• Generous holiday allowance
• Matched contribution pension scheme, with life assurance
• Employee share scheme
• Employee shopping savings portal
• Payment of Professional Fees
• Reservists in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
• Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
• ‘Be Kind Day’ enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For the full extensive Benefits package please visit our Careers pages
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Babcock delivers the design, manufacture and support of customised vehicles and protective solutions. Our customers include the emergency services, civil service, military and other security focused organisations based in the UK and overseas.
Recently we were awarded a contract to support the British Army with electric vehicle conversion and trials, news that Top Gear shared on their website.
Due to this growth, we are expanding our team, so if you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction then consider Babcock for your next move. You will join a team of over 250 that are based at our Walsall site, ideally located five minutes off of the M6 and offers free employee parking.
Vehicle conversions can include mechanical, electrical, bodywork, fabrication, welding and painting, and there are full and part time opportunities available across these skillsets. Whilst relevant experience and qualifications is preferred, you will also be considered if you have a practical aptitude and some experience working on vehicles. Required workwear, safety equipment and training will be provided.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you’ll continually develop your knowledge and expertise. Join us and play your part in helping to create a safe and secure world, together.