At Hawaiian Airlines, we are all about welcoming our guests with Hawaiian hospitality and aloha, and taking care of our people, our home, and the communities we serve. Join our ‘ohana and be a part of an exciting team of professionals dedicated to serving our kama‘āina and introducing our islands to the world!
This Director provides counsel and support to the company in all areas of labor relations including but not limited to: dispute resolution, negotiation/collective bargaining, implementation of collective agreements, grievance resolution and case management, and support of arbitration proceedings. Advises and counsels HR and senior leadership on labor relations strategy. Ensures that collective bargaining agreements (CBAs) are consistently enforced across division through training, effective communication and collaboration with all relevant stakeholders. Works closely within HR to ensure HR policies are not in conflict with our collective bargaining agreements.
Responsibilities include effective working relationships with all levels of Union and Company leadership. Conducts direct negotiation as company spokesperson and other duties as assigned by the Vice President.
Acts as a liaison working directly with Company leaders, to answer questions, provide input, review policy and direct numerous projects and topics touching our unionized employees.
Contract Implementation and Negotiation - works directly with leaders in Operations, Financial Planning and Analysis, Human Resources, Network Planning, Information and Technology, Communication, among others, to develop and execute Hawaiian’s negotiation strategy.
- Plays a key role in the implementation of the joint collective agreements, with primary responsibility in working with the Joint Implementation Teams (JITs)
- Demonstrates critical thinking and a keen understanding of the issues that might cause operational concerns in the future or in the context of confidential business plans of the airline
- Maintain a working knowledge of contract provisions at other air carriers to craft proposals and ensure that Hawaiian remains in a competitive position with respect to our unionized work groups among our industry competitors
Strategic Partnering - analyzes business unit needs to maximize efficiency under existing CBAs, including strategizing desired changes to agreements
- Provides long-term and broad views regarding labor implications of business decisions
- Plans, creates and implements strategies to attain business goals with respect to labor relations and human resource initiatives
- Develops and executes strategies and proposals for contract negotiations
- Develops and delivers presentations to executives and others, as required, on labor strategies, programs, practices, and issues
- Formulates policy recommendations involving the application and interpretation of laws and regulations to address any potential conflicts with the terms of collective bargaining agreements
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years direct labor relations experience, or commensurate combination of direct labor relations experience and law education (J.D. designation)
- Experience with Relationship-Building; Negotiation/Consensus Building; Strategy Development; Labor Relations; HR Policy Development and Implementation
- HR experience, with labor relations experience in a combined union/management environment; negotiating interpreting and administering CBA(s)
- Comprehensive understanding of unions and labor environments
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR policies, as well as federal and state employment law
- Organizational interdependencies, interfaces, and processes
- Microsoft Office Proficiency; Effective writing skills; Analytical Thinking skills; Effective Communication skills
- Hawaiian Airlines is regulated by the Department of Transportation (DOT - regulation, 49 CFR part 40) and all applicants are advised that post-offer and/or pre-employment drug testing will be conducted to determine the presence of Marijuana, Cocaine, Opioids, PCP (Phencyclidine), and Amphetamine prior to any offer of employment or transfer into a safety-sensitive position. Failure to submit to testing or positive indications of drug use will render the applicant ineligible for employment with Hawaiian Airlines and any employment offer will be withdrawn.
- Juris Doctor
- Chief negotiator experience
- Air carrier labor relations experience
About Hawaiian Airlines
Now in its 94th year of continuous service, Hawaiian is Hawaiʻi's biggest and longest-serving airline. Hawaiian offers approximately 150 daily flights within the Hawaiian Islands, and nonstop flights between Hawaiʻi and 15 U.S. gateway cities – more than any other airline – as well as service connecting Honolulu and American Samoa, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea and Tahiti.
Consumer surveys by Condé Nast Traveler and TripAdvisor have placed Hawaiian among the top of all domestic airlines serving Hawaiʻi. In 2022, the carrier topped Travel + Leisure’s 2022 World’s Best
list as the No. 1 U.S. airline and was named Hawaiʻi's best employer by Forbes. Hawaiian® led all U.S. carriers in on-time performance for 18 consecutive years (2004-2021) as reported by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
The airline is committed to connecting people with aloha by offering complimentary meals for all guests on transpacific routes and the convenience of no change fees on Main Cabin and Premium Cabin seats. HawaiianMiles members also enjoy flexibility with miles that never expire. As Hawai‘i’s hometown airline, Hawaiian encourages guests to Travel Pono and experience the islands safely and respectfully.
Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. is a subsidiary of Hawaiian Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: HA). Additional information is available at HawaiianAirlines.com. Follow Hawaiian’s Twitter updates (@HawaiianAir), become a fan on Facebook (Hawaiian Airlines), and follow us on Instagram (hawaiianairlines). For career postings and updates, follow Hawaiian’s LinkedIn page.
For media inquiries, please visit Hawaiian Airlines’ online newsroom.