Job Description Summary
The Failure Analysis engineer (he/she) will integrate a multi-disciplinary team expected to provide support to the design, production, and maintenance organizations and be a key contributor to maintaining a high standard of Safety and Quality of the product for both NPIs & fielded engines. You will be owning the timely execution of assigned tasks and will have daily opportunity to work cross-functionally. You will leverage your experience and expertise in multi-scale material characterization techniques in conjunction to advanced analytical tools in order to provide tailored inputs for other Engineering functions. This position is very hands on and the engineer will be expected to perform most aspects of the evaluations / investigations from start to completion including writing a factual based report for the customer.
The individual impacts approaches, projects and programs in the functional area or affected business organization. Impacts quality, efficiency and effectiveness of own team. Guided by professional practices and policies that are shaped by the role. The role has moderate autonomy, requiring high levels of operational judgment
Roles and Responsibilities
- Lab Support provided to Catalyst NPI during Certification & Testing & post EIS
- Support to Test, Evaluation, Systems & Lube Systems during Acceptance Test - Develop in-house process leveraging more automated analysis method to Lean process and improve TAT ahead of Catalyst serial production (EIS)
- Failure analysis execution ownership at component level
- Undertake advanced problem solving and detailed analysis to understand failure mechanism, root-cause and any contributing factors
- Collaborate with technical experts from cross-functional engineering teams to improve root cause identification and foster the introduction of containment plan and corrective actions
- Continue to develop specialized knowledge in the discipline. Serves as best practice/quality resource. Has awareness of latest technical developments in own area. Contributes towards greater group strategy and ensures timely delivery of data / communication with internal customers.
- Provide accurate and factual analysis reports and communication across the organization functions
- Uses judgment to make decisions or solve moderately complex tasks or problems in areas of operational/product management, manufacturing, technology or engineering. Takes new perspective on existing solutions. Uses technical experience and expertise for data analysis to support recommendations.
- Significant communication and documentation skills, communication with all levels within the business.
- Minimum B.S. Material's / Metallurgical or Mechanical Engineering degree from an accredited university or college (Aviation and Aerospace oriented is a must)
- Operational / hands-on knowledge of materials laboratory equipment including sectioning and sample preparation equipment, use of micro and macroscopes and SEM / EDS equipment, etc.
- Methodical and creative approach, with strong attention to detail to enable smart failure analysis investigation and support fact-based decision-making processes and related actions
- Adaptable to timely respond business needs and/or changing priorities
- Excellent teaming, communication and documentation skills but able to work independently.
- Able to work in, at times, a high workload environment, able to prioritize multiple projects in parallel.
- Prior Failure Analysis experience with exposure to failure mechanisms identification and root cause analysis process
- Materials & processing, and Material Characterization solid foundations
- Failure Analysis experience related to aerospace hardware.
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal and leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Strong inter-personal skills, self-motivated and pro-active, agility to navigate in a complex environment
Relocation Assistance Provided: No