Job Title: Commissioning Mechanical Test Engineer
Location: Faslane, Helensburgh, Onsite
Compensation: Up to £44,000 DOE + generous overtime rates of of double pay on weekends and time and a half on weekdays
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF5187
At Babcock we’re working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Commissioning Mechanical Test Engineer at our Faslane, Helensburgh site.
As a Commissioning Mechanical Test Engineer, you’ll have a role that’s out of the ordinary. This role is based at HMNB Clyde where Babcock provides services including fleet time engineering, facilities management, waterfront services, logistics and transport within an agreed operating budget, firmly focused on continuous and sustainable improvement in warship and submarine support.
Day to day, you’ll conduct submarine commissioning and testing tasks safely, on time, to specification and within an agreed budget, ensuring close liaison with all key stakeholders throughout. This a key part of the role, you will ensure client engagement at each stage. Your responsibilities will include:
- Applying logical thinking to resolve conflicting operational priorities and Commissioning requirements.
- The reviewing of complex engineering documentation and participate in extensive technical discussions covering many engineering disciplines.
- The role will involve working on several different tasks on a daily basis or you could be involved in complex tasking, taking several days or weeks to complete.
Essential experience of the Commissioning Mechanical Test Engineer:
- Significant experience of working with propulsion and ships systems within a submarine operation, maintenance, or commissioning environment. Ideally gained within a Naval Marine, Offshore or Power Generation environment.
- Knowledge of high energy systems found within a safety critical environment with a strong focus on the application of Health & Safety principles to all work undertaken.
- Competent user of IT systems including ERP, database, and MS office software.
- Ability to work to a consistently high standard within a fast-moving, high-pressure environment.
- Good planning, organising and management skills. Along with effective communication skills and competence in stakeholder and relationship management.
- This role is full time onsite at Faslane, Monday to Friday with the possibility of overtime.
Qualifications for the Commissioning Mechanical Test Engineer:
- Recognised Mechanical Engineering Apprenticeship or HNC with demonstrable experience in a relevant engineering discipline (or relevant equivalence).
The successful candidate must be able to achieve SC security clearance level for this role.
- Generous holiday allowance
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee share scheme
- Employee shopping savings portal
- Payment of Professional Fees
- Reservists in the armed forces receive 10-days special paid leave
- Holiday Trading is a benefit that allows the majority of employees to buy additional leave or to sell up to one working week of annual leave from their annual entitlement
- ‘Be Kind Day’ enables employees to take one working day's paid leave a year (or equivalent hours) to undertake volunteering work with their chosen organisation or registered charity
For over 130 years Babcock International have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We’re committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone’s free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.