There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines. We’re on a path towards becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live and fly and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. And we’re growing – in the years ahead, we’ll hire tens of thousands of people across every area of the airline. Our careers include a competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy and well-traveled. From employee-run "Business Resource Group" communities to world-class benefits like parental leave, 401k and privileges like space available travel, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?Key Responsibilities
As the Supervisor - Catering Operations & Logistics, the selected candidate will provide oversight and direction to the catering vendor at an assigned hub to ensure a safe, reliable operation. Through leadership and collaboration, the supervisor will facilitate achievement of operating performance targets and drive improvements to internal and external customer metrics. This is an airport-based role, and the successful candidate will become a core part of the cross-divisional operations team and cultivate strong partnerships with internal stakeholders including Inflight Services, Airport Operations, Menu Strategy & Planning, and Food Safety. This is a salaried, management level role, however shift work including nights and weekends may be assigned to meet the needs of the operation. This role will also support responsible use of United’s equipment and materials, effective warehouse management practices, inventory ordering and stock management, and waste reduction efforts.Vendor & Performance Management
Auditing & Regulatory Compliance
- Analyze operating performance and customer satisfaction data to identify trends, produce actionable insights, and make data driven recommendations. Facilitate the accurate identification of root causes to process failures, and drive vendor accountability for corrective actions, action plans, and timelines.
- Be visible and present in both the catering operation and in the airport operation as needed. Identify and communicate operational risks and process improvement recommendations using daily process observations and ongoing analysis of performance data.
- Engage in troubleshooting and in the moment resolution to achieve operating goals.
- Conduct regular audits ensuring compliance with Catering Operations Business Manual, United Airlines Safety Standards, and other regulatory requirements
- Support investigations into safety incidents including corrective action planning
- Facilitate partnership with United Airlines Food Safety and operational safety teams
- Provide direct oversight of the day-to-day operation and conduct audits to ensure integrity of catering partner inventory management process and reporting
- Conduct spot checks evaluating inventory levels of galley equipment, food, and beverages
- Provide intelligence over key cost drivers or outstanding cost drivers (e.g. equipment shortage, excessive oversight) as needed
Leadership, Collaboration & Partnering
- Coordinate execution of new menu concepts and service improvements
- Provide on-site support for initiatives such as technology improvements, changes to operating performance metrics, process compliance, etc.
- Partner with CSC and leadership teams to support change management and communication plans for initiatives; provide on-site support and monitor adoption and success of new initiatives
United values diverse experiences, perspectives, and we encourage everyone who meets the minimum qualifications to apply. While having the “desired” qualifications make for a stronger candidate, we encourage applicants who may not feel they check ALL of those boxes! We are always looking for individuals who will bring something new to the table!
- Ensure robust communication and proactive planning with airport stakeholders including Inflight, SOC, Customer Service, Ramp Service, and the Business Office.
- Participate in key airport meetings to stay connected to stakeholders and address operational challenges. Maintain a regular presence in the Inflight Base to engage with Inflight leaders, pursers, and flight attendants and ensure a closed feedback loop on issues and concerns.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to provide guidance and support to catering vendor and local operating groups.
What’s needed to succeed (Minimum Qualifications):
What will help you propel from the pack (Preferred Qualifications):
- Bachelor's degree (Engineering, Business or related field) or 4 years of relevant work experience
- 2+ years of experience in salaried (non-hourly) Analyst, Operations, Consulting or Engineering role
- Project leadership experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to build relationships and engage with leaders and frontline employees from various cultures and operating divisions
- Effective business writing and speaking skills and confidence engaging with all levels of leadership
- Intermediate Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Self-starter with the ability to both execute independently and effectively collaborate in a team environment
- Ability to work during non-standard hours and peak periods when needed to support a global 24/7/365 operation, and to work in controlled and uncontrolled operational environments. Shift work, including nights and weekends, may be assigned to meet the needs of the operation.
- Willing to work full-time at an airport-based location
- When needed, willing to be accessible and/or work outside of normal business hours to support the operation
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualifications
- Reliable, punctual attendance is an essential function of the position; remote and/or hybrid work options are not applicable to this role.
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact JobAccommodations@united.com to request accommodation
- Bachelor's or advanced degree
- 2+ years of Industrial Engineering work experience
- 2+ years of airline catering, airport operations, manufacturing, or other operations salaried (non-hourly) experience
- HACCP, PCQI or equivalent food safety certificates
- Fluency in more than one language
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT EWR00004201