Under the direction of the Engineering Manager and Continuous Improvement Director, this position is responsible for supporting and assisting the Continuous Improvement Organization, planning, implementation, and follow-through of continuous improvement initiatives. Correspondingly, the incumbent coordinates and leads a wide range of activities that are designed to improve on-time delivery, productivity, quality, cost, safety, and environmental performance. This position does not directly supervise other personnel. Additionally, this position supports all areas of the facility including: Operations, Maintenance, Quality, Supply Chain, etc...Some key objectives are:
- Participate in the Howmet Business System implementation of continuous improvement initiatives and drive waste reductions utilizing Lean principles (JIT, Autonomation, Value Stream Mapping, Cycle Time vs TAKT Time, Kaizen, 5S, Standard Work, Line/Cell Design, Single Piece Flow, Material Flow, Visual Management, SMED, TPM, Root Cause Problem Solving, etc.)
- Develop Value Stream maps of key processes and product flows. Define the current condition of the facility(ies) to identify opportunities and create a target condition, with action plans to improve operational and financial results.
- Complete value stream mapping, identify opportunities, and lead efforts in process reengineering and process improvements in various plants.
- Facilitate successful kaizen, problem solving, and rapid improvement process events with both internal and external consultants, customers and suppliers. This includes providing support to sustain all follow-throughs required to sustain the improvements initiated during those events, especially those concentrated on local improvement.
- Coordinate, plan, and execute 5S and TPM checklists, as well as assisting in internal audit procedures.
- Coordinate, assist, and deliver team-based Continuous Improvement (CI) training to support heightened performance by being knowledgeable of each department and CI concepts, principles, and practices.
- Assist department leaders in team skill and knowledge development to support meeting management goals, project aims, improvements, result measurements, and problem solving.
- Coordinate with resource departments to fabricate, install, and implement improvements.
- Remain committed and up-to-date on CI manufacturing principles and techniques.
- Demonstrated experience in flow principles, Kanban, and plan for every part (PFEP)
- Expertise in value stream mapping and associated improvement methodologies
- Understanding of pillars of Toyota production system (JIT, Autonomation)
- Experience evaluating TAKT time vs. cycle time, determining work area constraints (i.e. cycle time constraint, periodic work constraints, downtime constraints).
- Strong interpersonal skills requiring the ability to resolve conflicting interests and obtain cooperation.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills: able to develop and use structured approaches to identify root causes and recommend resolutions
- Demonstrated experience in project leadership and project management skills, with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously to meet objectives and key deadlines
- Performing other duties as assigned
This position requires the following:
Basic Qualifications (Minimum):
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Continuous Improvement, Supply Chain Management or other related field of study
- Must have knowledge and understanding of Continuous Process Improvement methodologies such as Lean and Six Sigma
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as exhibit initiative and a high level of energy
- Must be willing to spend time on the manufacturing shopfloor to learn and interact with employees
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and drive change
- Exhibit teamwork and go-getting attitude
- Good analytical/statistical problem-solving skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- This position is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) which requires U.S. person status. ITAR defines U.S. person as an U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
- 1 to 3 years of experience in manufacturing environments in areas such as: Operations, Engineering, Supply Chain, Quality, or Operational Excellence.
- Exceptional Excel Spreadsheet creation, macros, and related data analysis skills