Swissport is the world’s leading provider of ground and air cargo services, with a workforce of 68,000 at 315 airports in 50 countries. We strive to operate with the core values of People, Professionalism, and Partnership in all that we undertake. Our mission is simple – “To provide the aviation industry with innovative solutions and a superior service experience of consistent quality around the globe”.
The core purpose of the Operations Manager is to lead a large team of Supervisors and Trainers. This involves maximising performance and culture across the areas of safety, efficiency and reliability and continuously exceeding the service delivery expectations of Swissport’s clients (airlines) and their customers. With a focus on continuous development and improvement initiatives in business and operational performance, you will also build and maintain strong teams with a ‘Can Do, Will Do’ attitude ensuring our employees feel valued, recognised and engaged.
Leadership & Culture
- Ensure that the team have the tools and equipment to effectively carry out their roles and come up with solutions including creating justifications for procuring additional tools / equipment where required;
- Ensure effective communication of operational and business related information with the team;
- Ensure that personal targets (scorecards) are translated to relevant targets for direct reports and that direct reports understand performance expectations;
- Ensure the team achieves defined key performance criteria;
- Coach and develop direct reports and actively manage their performance including reviewing logs, carrying out one-one-one conversations, My Career reviews and/or disciplinary meetings to address key issues;
- Uphold staff disciplines and adherence to Swissport, client and regulatory procedures and policies.
- Lead a culture that values equality, fairness, and transparency, and zero tolerance for bullying, discrimination and harassment;
- Handling of escalated staff grievances, complaints, discipline etc. In consultation with Airport Services Manager, GM Operations/Employee Relations where appropriate;
- Foster and develop the Swissport ‘Can Do, Will Do’ culture;
- Recognise and reward the team for good performance including facilitating team events and recording individual performance in logs;
- Actively carry out succession planning activities within the team.
- Lead optimal operational efficiency through effective planning and management of manpower (through rosters, training, leave, etc) as well as other key cost areas such as staff uniforms;
- Consistently plan to ensure that the right number of people are trained in the various disciplines of customer service operations;
- Maximise ancillary revenue collection (such as excess baggage) for client airlines;
- Ensure that the customer service team and supervisors are accurately entering / checking roster and billing information into systems and then carry out error checks / sign-off before billing processes commence;
- Ensure that supervisors / duty managers are effectively reporting key information about their shifts / activities;
- Manage the safe and secure operation of all equipment and associated costs for repair and maintenance;
- Raise purchase orders for equipment repair and other consumables.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Direct aviation experience including leadership in Customer Service or Ramp Services;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team to achieve positive business and operational outcomes;
- High level verbal reasoning, communication and interpersonal skills with the aptitude to be able to lead, direct, coach, develop and motivate a team and/or an individual;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Ability to work with minimal direction, displaying initiative and motivation;
- Demonstrate high-level personal qualities in relation to adaptability, flexibility, commitment, ability to apply sound judgment and reasoning, and the ability to effectively prioritise tasks;
- High level administrative, planning, time management and organisational skills;
- Thorough knowledge of our client airline handling manuals, dangerous goods, security and emergency response policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of training practices including monitoring of training compliance for regulatory and skills-based training;
- Strong ability to develop proficiency in using company IT systems.
- Ability to develop -
- Working knowledge of our clients ground handling, dangerous goods, security, and emergency response policies and procedures.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Swissport as an equal opportunity employer bases its hiring decisions on the business need and the best qualified candidates available, and does not discriminate, employment may be subject to a criminal record and other background checks as permitted or required by company policy or applicable law.
Looking for a new challenge?
If you are looking for a challenge in a rapid environment in the aviation services industry and are motivated to work in a multicultural company and a position that allows you to put your ideas into practice, this will be an excellent opportunity for you.
Applications must be in writing with Qualifications/Experience and Required Competencies addressed and supported with evidence where possible.
Please note: Only permanent residents of Australia or New Zealand, or persons who have the right to work in Australia may apply.