Job Title: SeniorSpecialist, Quality Engineering
Job Code: SAS20231509-106118
Job Location:North Amityville, NY
The Senior Specialist Quality Engineer shall assure reliable product is being delivered to our customers on time, meeting or exceeding expectations and specifications. The candidate should be an experienced professional with a broad working knowledge of Quality Assurance practices and principles, have a strong understanding of the requirements of AS9100 Rev D and have ability to support other assigned tasks such as audits, manufacturing process reviews, failure trend analysis, etc. Responsible for quality improvement of issues related to suppliers and/or subcontractors of materials, products or services used in development or manufacturing. Ability to make sound, investigative and resourceful decisions based on facts. Manages projects or processes with general oversight. Communicates within and outside of own function to gain cooperation on operational processes, practices, and procedures. Works to achieve operational targets for specific programs and projects with moderate impact on departmental results.
- Plan, analyze, survey and control to assure that all applicable quality requirements are adhered to in all phases of a program, including engineering design through customer acceptance.
- Review new contracts to determine the quality assurance requirements and flow down requirements to the appropriate departments or personnel within the site. Develop plans and methods for assigned programs to assure adherence to all contractual quality requirements and company policies and procedures.
- Assess onboarding of potential new suppliers
- Participate in Engineering design reviews, review engineering drawings for conformance to quality requirements and sign off on approved drawings. Present Quality Assurance section at customer reviews
- Schedule and control the completion of program specific quality assurance tasks, follow up quality assurance action items and assure all quality contract requirements are met.
- Coordinate and lead the resolution of non-conformances, including MRB and corrective actions for assigned programs.
- Analyze supplier performance and develop improvement plans for identified problem areas to drive down supplier nonconformances
- Specify test requirements and assist Engineering in the development of test procedures and the design of test equipment. Review and approve test methods and procedures submitted by vendors.
- Assist in resolving inspection, test method and test equipment problems.
- Review assigned Requests for Proposals (RFPs) and Requests for Quotation (RFQs), determine quality assurance requirements and support Program Management and/or Contracts in the preparation of proposals. Prepare, or support the preparation of, cost estimates.
- Perform on site surveillance and audits of major suppliers and source inspect major components and subsystems.
- Perform elements of Advanced Product Quality Planning (Process Flow Diagrams & Failure Mode Effects Analysis, Control Plans, Measurement System Analysis, and First Article Inspections)
- Implement Zero Defect Plans (ZDP) with critical suppliers, acting as the key technical interface between suppliers and L3Harris by assisting suppliers to develop robust processes, performing process/product validations, recommending manufacturability improvements (process and design).
- Bachelor's degree within Engineering field and minimum of 6 years’ of experience within quality engineering; OR 4 years Post-Secondary/Associates Degree and minimum of 10 years’ experience within quality engineering; OR Graduate degree and a minimum of 4 years’ of experience within quality engineering
- 6+ years Aerospace/Defense Industry experience
- 6+ years of experience reading and interpreting blueprints and a good working knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Willingness to travel up to 25% percent
- Supplier Development and Engagement experience
- Special process audit experience
- Lean/Six Sigma training, Green Belt
- AS 9100/ISO 9001 quality system experience.
- Familiarity with mechanical asembly, soldering, machining, and finishing processes.
- Advanced knowledge of APQP, SPC, Process Failure Mode and Effects Analysis, RCCA problem solving methodologies, Lean/Six Sigma and exposure to a “Zero Defects” business operating environment.
- Working knowledge of industry specs/standards as it relates to materials and manufacturing processes (e.g., ASTM, ASE, MIL specs, etc.).
L3Harris Technologies is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. L3Harris is committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity and maintaining a workplace that is free from unlawful discrimination. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or other related medical conditions), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, characteristic or membership in any other group protected by federal, state or local laws. L3Harris maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks, where permitted by law.