Programme title: Engineering Technician and Fitting Apprenticeship
Application closing date: March 2024
Programme start date: September 2024
Support our work with UK submarines, manufacturing critical components as you gain in-depth engineering knowledge and practical experience on our 4-year Engineering Technician and Fitting Apprenticeship.
About the programme
On this 4-year programme, you’ll gain technical knowledge and hands-on experience through a blend of college training and work experience, manufacturing complex components for submarines.
During the first year, you’ll undertake training on-site and at college to complete your foundation training which will include:
• Machining components using milling machines
• Machining components using lathes
• Manufacturing components through a variety of bench fitting skills
You will also undertake block placements within the production area, exposing you to engineering materials, processes and communication methods such as engineering drawings.
As part of the structured training programme, you will complete workbooks and training logs whilst being provided with continual support and on-the-job training. Most of our Production Managers started their careers on an apprenticeship scheme and will be able to help you on this exciting start to your engineering career.
In your fourth year, you’ll move into the area you would like to continue your career, enabling you to become highly skilled and competent within a specialist area.
The aim of the Engineering Technician and Fitting Apprenticeship is to prepare you for a manufacturing, fitting or inspection post within Babcock.
Through your college studies and on-the-job training, you will gain a Level 2 Performing Engineering Operations and Level 3 Engineering Technician Apprenticeship (or equivalent).
You will also gain a National Certificate in an appropriate design discipline which will align with our functional model. This is likely to be either in Structural, Mechanical or Electrical areas.
What you’ll need
• A minimum of 5 GCSEs all at C/4 grade (or equivalent) including Maths, English Language and a Science, or equivalent qualifications.
• You’ll also need to be able to work effectively in a team, have good attention to detail and have a passion for engineering.
• Many of our early careers roles are subject to Security Clearance and Trade Control restrictions which mean that your place of birth, nationality, citizenship, or residency you hold or have held may impact which roles you are eligible for. Further details are available at United Kingdom Security Vetting: clearance levels – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk). For our early careers roles, you must be able to achieve BPSS and many of them require you to be eligible for Security Clearance.
What you’ll get
We will provide you with a supportive and engaging environment where you can grow your career.
In addition, you’ll benefit from:
● Fully funded qualification
● Personal development training and opportunities
● Minimum 28 days holiday allowance including bank holidays
● Competitive pension scheme
● Employee share scheme
● Flexible benefits including cycle to work scheme and employee shopping savings portal
You’ll also have the chance to get involved in our STEM outreach activities and volunteering opportunities, which our apprentices find incredibly rewarding.
Your career development
It’s hard to beat the variety of fantastic opportunities and business experiences you’ll receive. You can expect real world encounters and exposure to exciting projects that will really help you navigate where you want to take your career.
Plus, when you join us, you’ll be automatically enrolled onto our Apprentice Development Programme. Through a series of digital and face to face sessions, presented by wellbeing and performance experts and our external partners, we will equip you with the knowledge and tools you need to thrive and perform at your very best on your programme and beyond.
Please be aware that if there is a high level of interest in this programme, applications may close earlier than advertised. To give yourself the best chance of being considered for a place on this programme, please submit your application as early as possible.